The conference will be held April 29 – May 1, 2013 at the Lansing Center in Lansing, Michigan.
Date: April 30th-May1st, 2013
Time: Monday April 29th: 12:00pm-1:15pm Keynote Speaker Barney Frank
Tuesday April 30th: 11:45AM-1:15PM Awards Luncheon Emcee Jess Sobel
Wednesday May 1st: 12:00 noon Closing Speaker — Carter Oosterhouse
Venue: 333 E Michigan Ave Lansing, MI 48933
TUESDAY: Tuesday Awards Luncheon
A conference awards luncheon honoring individuals who have gone beyond the call of duty in supporting affordable housing, community development and quality service to individuals with low and moderate incomes. The coveted Duvernay Award will be presented, along with the following special industry recognition awards:
• CEDAM’s CED Advocate of the
• CEDAM’s Innovator of the
• Michigan Foreclosure Prevent Corps
Site of the Year Award
• The Corrie Bair Building Inclusive
• The Corporation for Supportive
Housing (CSH) Julie Sandorf Award
• The Michigan Disability Rights
Coalition, Building Inclusive
• The Federal Home Loan Bank of
Indianapolis Community Spirit
• MSHDA’s Homeownership Division
Housing Counselor and Housing
Agency of the Year Awards
• Habitat for Humanity of Michigan
Affiliate of the Year Award
In memory of Terrence R. Duvernay, former MSHDA Executive Director, the Conference Planning Committee established an annual
leadership award commemorating Terry’s lifelong commitment to affordable housing. The award goes to the person who best reflects
the ideals and personal qualities exhibited by Terry. The awardee will also receive a cash award, which will be given to the nonprofit
housing or community development organization for which the awardee works or designates as the recipient.
Past Duvernay Award Winners:
• 2012-Evelyn Brown (Local Initiatives Support Corporation)
• 2011-Karl L. Gotting (Loomis Law Firm)
• 2010-Dennis Sturtevant (CEO of Dwelling Place)
• 2009-Mary L. Trucks (Executive Director of FiveCAP, Inc.)
• 2008-Melvin Washington (President Phoenix Communities and President Castle Construction)
• 2007-Ron Calery (Executive Director of the Chippewa-Luce-Mackinac Community Action Agency)
• 2006-Gene Kuthy (Board Chairman of the Michigan Interfaith Loan Fund)
• 2005-Noreen Keating (Lighthouse of Oakland County)
• 2004-Linda Smith (U-SNAP-BAC, Inc./ U-SNAP-BAC Non-Profit
Luncheon Speaker Carter Oosterhouse
is one of America’s most recognized lifestyle experts. As host of HGTV’s Carter Can, Red, Hot & Green, Million Dollar Rooms, Celebrity Motor Homes and a regular contributor to the Emmy® Award–Winning Rachael Ray show Carter’s unique combination of skill, passion and charm have given him widespread appeal for families and individuals alike seeking to improve the quality of their lives by enhancing their surroundings.
With over 1,700 attendees, the Building Michigan Communities Conference has quickly become the largest conference of its kind in the United States. The conference is attended by service providers, nonprofit and for-profit developers and financiers.
The “Michigan Conference on Affordable Housing: Partners Building Communities” is changing it’s name. Starting with the 2012 conference, it will now be known as the “Building Michigan Conference: Housing, Assets, People, Partners”.
This change is recognizing an essential truth about both the conference and the industry. Whether we’re involved in the creation or preservation of housing, the provision of services to the homeless, the revitalization of neighborhoods including downtowns, providing funds or receiving funds, we are all trying to make Michigan’s communities better places to live, work, invest, and play. The key part of our original name is the “Partners Building Communities” phrase. That focus has not changed.